Creamy Carrot Casserole
My mom and I developed this recipe to see if there was a carrot dish that even people who don't care for carrots would enjoy. So far, I haven't met anyone who hasn't liked our casserole—especially when the carrots are freshly dug from the garden! —Laurie Heward, Fillmore, Utah
8 ServingsPrep: 15 min. Bake: 30 min.
- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, sliced or 1 package (20 ounces) frozen sliced carrots, thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons buttered bread crumbs
- Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until
- crisp-tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Transfer
- carrots to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onion, horseradish and
- reserved cooking liquid; spread evenly over carrots. Sprinkle with
- cheese; top with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30
- minutes. Yield: 8 servings.