- 1-1/2 pounds carrots, sliced or 1 package (20 ounces) frozen sliced carrots, thawed
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 tablespoon grated onion
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 tablespoons Ritz or butter-flavored crackers
- Preheat oven to 350°. Place 1 in. of water in a large saucepan; add carrots. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 7-9 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain, reserving 1/4 cup cooking liquid. Transfer carrots to a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish.
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onion, horseradish and reserved cooking liquid; spread evenly over carrots. Sprinkle with cheese; top with bread crumbs. Bake, uncovered, for 30 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews forCreamy Carrot Casserole
"Delicious. Only change I made was using canned carrots. Husband loved it."
"I really enjoyed this! My husband thought it was just so-so, but whatever, this is my TOH account!!! I used olive oil mayo and that worked fine. I had leftover baby carrots and found this recipe. I cut it in half and that works fine. I didn't grate the onion, just chopped finely. To get buttered bread crumbs, I simply added some melted butter to dry bread crumbs. I'll be making this again for sure.Update: I tried this again tonight and I feel like the recipe was altered since I last reviewed. I specifically remembered it saying "buttered bread crumbs", not any of the cracker stuff it says. It didn't quite taste as good either. I don't know what happened. I'll be doing my own topping on this recipe from now on with buttered bread crumbs and butter. I might also lower the amount of "reserved liquid", it was way too liquidy. I'll still make this again but with changes. If I had rated it as it stands now, it would have been more like a 4-star."
"Absolutely good! This is a keeper."
"I have been making this for 30 years and it is delicious. I do not add the cheddar and it is a fantastic dish. It's always a family favorite."
"I had some baby carrots that had to get used up and wanted something different. This recipe fit the bill and I will make this again. I like the zing of the horseradish."
"Totally awesome, Have made this a couple times and never come home with much left. Bummer. Great way to use the carrots from my garden."
"I have been making this for many years. Everyone loves it. It is "go to" recipe for carrots!"
"made this recipe, adding zucchini, for a potluck and sure enough it was a hit! Also, as topping used tater tots and cheese. On other casseroles I may uses leftover potato or corn chips from the bottom of the bags. (hate to throw anything away) Really like the simple sauce. Plan to make this recipe for an upcoming party."
"SAVING recipe. We're not horseradish fans, so will put **thinking cap** in place to find substitute for it. Thank you for sharing recipe."
"My neighbors grew a bunch of carrots, and gave us more then we an handle. I found this recipe and it provided a great use of them, thanks!"