- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 3 cups peeled and shredded carrots (4 to 5 medium carrots)
- 2 cups reduced-sodium chicken broth
- 1/3 cup minced fresh basil
- 3 tablespoons minced fresh parsley
- 3 cups reduced-sodium tomato juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Additional plain Greek yogurt, optional
- Additional torn fresh basil, optional
- In a large saucepan, heat oil over medium heat. Add onion; cook and stir until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in carrots, chicken broth, basil and parsley. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until carrots are tender, 10-12 minutes. Stir in tomato juice. Pulse mixture in a blender until smooth.
- In another large saucepan, melt butter over medium heat. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually whisk in tomato mixture, salt and pepper.
Bring to a boil, stirring constantly; cook and stir until slightly thickened, 5-7 minutes. Remove from heat; stir in yogurt until blended. If desired, top with additional yogurt and basil.
- Freeze option: Before stirring in yogurt, cool soup; freeze in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a large saucepan over medium-low heat, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth or water if necessary. Stir in 1/2 cup Greek yogurt and, if desired, add toppings before serving. Yield: 4 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Carrot & Tomato Soup
"Really bright flavor and creamy texture! I appreciate that it's a creamy soup without needing heavy cream."
"It was very good, the yogurt really toned down the tomato flavour. I didn't add the flour, it was really thick after l blended it. Lovely colour. A very nice starter for dinner. Janet. VFE"