Creamy Caramels Recipe
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line an 8-in.-square pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon butter and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and remaining butter; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil slowly for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and cook until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage), stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool. Using foil, lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares. Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield: 2-1/2 pounds.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Creamy Caramels
Sort By :
"I had a problem getting this to soft ball stage. They didnt end up firm enough, but I was still able to wrap the as candies. Wonderful flavor ! It's a keeper recipe if I can figure out the cooking time."
"They are so delicious I could eat a batch by myself. However, I can't get the mixture to heat to the soft ball stage (238 degrees F). they turn out too soft. Can anyone suggest why? I tried it twice and used using an All-Clad pan."
"Delicious! My family thought it tasted better than See's candy!"
"Fantastic! I put these on my cookie trays for Christmas this year and they were everyone's favorite"
"These caramels were so "melt in your mouth" wonderful and had such a buttery flavor that this recipe is going to be my number one "go to" recipes for caramels from here on out."