I discovered this recipe in a local newspaper several years ago and have made these soft buttery caramels ever since. Everyone asks for the recipe once they have a taste. I make them for Christmas, picnics and charity auctions. They are so much better than store-bought caramels.
-Marcie Wolfe, Williamsburg, Virginia
64 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. + cooling
- 1 teaspoon plus 1 cup butter, divided
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 cup dark corn syrup
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 teaspoon McCormick® Pure Vanilla Extract
- Line an 8-in.-square pan with foil; grease the foil with 1 teaspoon
- butter and set aside.
- In a large heavy saucepan, combine sugar, corn syrup and remaining
- butter; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Boil
- slowly for 4 minutes without stirring.
- Remove from the heat; stir in milk. Reduce heat to medium-low and
- cook until a candy thermometer reads 238° (soft-ball stage),
- stirring constantly. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla.
- Pour into prepared pan (do not scrape saucepan). Cool. Using foil,
- lift candy out of pan. Discard foil; cut candy into 1-in. squares.
- Wrap individually in waxed paper; twist ends. Yield: 2-1/2 pounds.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1 piece) equals 72 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 10 mg cholesterol, 45 mg sodium, 10 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 1 g protein.