- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1 package (8 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 5 large eggs
- 1 can (14 ounces) sweetened condensed milk
- 1 can (12 ounces) evaporated milk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- In a heavy saucepan, cook and stir sugar over medium-low heat until melted and golden, about 15 minutes. Quickly pour into an ungreased 2-qt. round baking or souffle dish, tilting to coat the bottom; let stand for 10 minutes.
- In a bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. Beat in eggs, one at a time, until thoroughly combined. Add remaining ingredients; mix well. Pour over caramelized sugar.
- Place the dish in a larger baking pan. Pour boiling water into larger pan to a depth of 1 in. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until center is just set (mixture will jiggle).
- Remove dish from a larger pan to a wire rack; cool for 1 hour. Refrigerate overnight.
- To unmold, run a knife around edges and invert onto a large rimmed serving platter. Cut into wedges or spoon onto dessert plates; spoon sauce over each serving. Yield: 8-10 servings.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Creamy Caramel Flan
"This is more appropriately "Flan de Queso Crema (Cream cheese Flan)," as traditional flan does not contain cheese. It is a hybrid between custard and cheesecake. And it is 100% rich and delicious! I have made this a few times and have found that people who don't care for the texture of traditional flan really love this one! Don't worry if your caramel layer hardens to that "candy glass." Most of it will soften again while baking, leaving a great sauce on the finished dessert. For best results, mix the flan ingredients before melting the sugar, so it is ready to pour on top of the caramel immediately after you coat the bottom of your mold. A great dessert, sure to satisfy even the pickiest of eaters!"
"Great desert. Easy as hell and been told "Best I Ever Had" and I agree. Today making it again from memory."
"My caramelized sugar also turned to glass, what went wrong? Other then that it was perfect."
"This was my very first time making flan and it turned out perfect I was so happy with the recipe thank you so much....and.... That was my first time ever melting sugar and it came out perfect"
"This is the best thing I have ever eaten hands down. It is creamy and decadent."
"@1914skin Nothing is wrong with your hardend caramelized sugar. Pour the mixture and follow the direction above. When it is chilled after one day, you will see the sauce. This recipe is delicious, creamy and firm."
"I followed the recipe verbatim ..... The caramelized sugar was hard as glass ..... No sauce .....What did I do wrong? ..... HELP!!!"
"I got almost the exact recipe from my friend who married a Mexican... Hers did't have the cream cheese but had 6 eggs instead of five... So if you don't like cream cheese flavor, cut the cheese out and add an egg! :)"
"Creamy,firm and soooo delicious, I added extra condensed milk to make it sweeter."
"This flan melts in your mouth...as a Pastry Chef...I could not fine my recipe so I found this one....hands down.....the best...better than the one I've been using."