Creamy Caramel-Apple Glaze
This easy homemade caramel was really a happy little discovery. The thin glaze is perfect for dipping. — Shannon Roum, Waukesha, Wisconsin
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 1-1/2 cups unsweetened apple juice
- 1 cinnamon stick (3 inches)
- 1 cup Kraft caramel bits
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- Sliced apples and doughnut holes or vanilla ice cream
- Optional toppings: chopped salted nuts, jimmies or miniature chocolate chips
- Place apple juice and cinnamon stick in a small saucepan. Bring to a
- boil; cook until liquid is reduced to 1/2 cup, about 10 minutes.
- Discard cinnamon stick.
- Reduce heat to medium; add caramel bits, half at a time, whisking
- after each addition until caramels are melted. Stir in cream; keep
- warm until ready to serve.
- Transfer to a serving dish; serve warm with apples and doughnut holes
- for dipping. Glaze can also be spooned over ice cream. If desired,
- sprinkle with toppings. (Warm glaze in microwave if mixture becomes
- too thick.) Yield: 3/4 cup.
Wine: Sweet White Wine: Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.