- 2 quarts half-and-half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 Butterfinger candy bars (2.1 ounces each), chopped
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the cream and milk to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs.
- Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Stir in candy bars. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 quarts.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Creamy Candy Bar Ice Cream
Sort By :
very easy to make..only thing I do differently is add the candies or nuts after the maker is done putting in freezer it keeps them crisp
Family loved it and it was simple.
I have done this for years, I think that the above commenter may have missed the step of hardening the ice cream mixture in the freezer, as after it is done in the ice cream maker it is a rather thick slushy mixture. My family makes this often, using different candies each time. FYI, Twix bars and pretzels are a yummy mixture too. I find that with the larger batches I need to let it harden up overnight in my freezer.
This recipe did not work for me. It never turned into ice cream. It only became an icy slush. I was not happy because I spent so much money on the half-and-half but the family would not let me dump it. They drank it and loved it. Only to make me feel better I think. Not sure if I will try again. Let me know if it worked for you.