You can count on a creamy bowl of this tempting treat to beat the summer heat. It’s easy to make, and kids love the crunchy candy bar and ice cream combination. People line up for it at our church ice cream socials.
- 2 quarts half-and-half cream
- 1 cup milk
- 2-1/4 cups sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs, lightly beaten
- 4-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 5 Butterfinger candy bars (2.1 ounces each), chopped
- In a large heavy saucepan, heat the cream and milk to 175°; stir in sugar and salt until dissolved. Whisk a small amount of hot mixture into eggs.
- Return all to the pan, whisking constantly. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture reaches at least 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- Remove from the heat. Cool quickly by placing pan in a bowl of ice water; stir for 2 minutes. Stir in vanilla. Press plastic wrap onto surface of custard. Refrigerate for several hours or overnight.
- Stir in candy bars. Fill cylinder of ice cream freezer two-thirds full; freeze according to manufacturer's instructions. Refrigerate remaining mixture until ready to freeze. Allow to ripen in ice cream freezer or firm up in the refrigerator freezer for 2-4 hours before serving. Yield: 3 quarts.
Originally published as Candy Bar Ice Cream in Country Woman July/August 2005, p35
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Creamy Candy Bar Ice Cream
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review