This recipe, which was handed down to me from my grandmother, makes a good side dish for any meal. It's a simple way to spruce up a cabbage dish and has always been happily received at potluck suppers.
4 ServingsPrep: 25 min. Bake: 15 min.
- 4 cups shredded cabbage
- 4 bacon strips
- 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup soft bread crumbs
- In a large saucepan, bring 1 in. of water and cabbage to a boil.
- Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 3-5 minutes or until crisp-tender;
- In a skillet, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Remove to
- paper towels; drain, reserving 1 tablespoons drippings. Stir the
- flour, salt, paprika and pepper into the drippings until smooth;
- gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes
- or until thickened.
- Place cabbage in an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Top with sauce.
- Sprinkle bread crumbs and bacon over the top. Bake at 400° for
- 15 minutes or until heated through. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving equals 160 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 17 mg cholesterol, 518 mg sodium,