Creamy Cabbage-Pork Stew Recipe
Savory flavors blend beautifully in this hearty recipe from field editor Ruth Ann Stelfox of Raymond, Alberta. “This stew can also be made in a slow cooker,“ she notes. “In a pinch, I use a ring of garlic bologna cut into chunks in place of the pork shoulder.“
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 20 min. Cook: 6 hours YIELD:6 servings
- 1 pound pork stew meat
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 3 cups coarsely chopped cabbage
- 2 cans (10-3/4 ounces each) condensed cream of celery soup, undiluted
- 1-1/2 cups apple juice
- 2 medium red potatoes, cut into 1-inch pieces
- 3 medium carrots, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, brown pork in oil on all sides; drain. Place in a 3-qt. slow cooker; stir in the cabbage, soup, apple juice, potatoes, carrots, caraway and pepper.
- 2. Cover and cook on low for 6-8 hours or until pork and vegetables are tender. Stir in milk; heat through. Yield: 6 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC