Creamy Butternut Squash Casserole Recipe
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1. Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- 2. In a small bowl, beat squash until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients; beat well. Spoon into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer inserted near the center reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 246 calories, 6g fat (3g saturated fat), 82mg cholesterol, 75mg sodium, 47g carbohydrate (24g sugars, 9g fiber), 5g protein
Reviews for Creamy Butternut Squash Casserole
"We did not really care for this recipe. Very little flavor."
"this was fantastic! I baked 1 big squash until soft and scraped out, mashed it instead of beating...also used buttermilk and brown sugar. EVERYONE loved this at my dinner party for 12, including the kids."
"I've been making this every Thanksgiving since TOH gave the recipe a few years ago. It is delicious however...I do not use the cinnamon or nutmeg. I made it with them the first year and it didn't taste all that great. Several people said, "It would probably be good without the cinnamon and nutmeg." So the next year I made it without them and I only use 1/2 tsp of vanilla (1 tsp is too sweet...even for a sweet lover like me) and it's been a huge hit every since. I do not bother to peel the squash or cut it into chunks. I just cut it in half, remove the seeds and steam it and then scoop it out when it's cool. You're just going to mash it so why bother taking the time to peel and cube it?"
"Its good but its sweet!... probally wouldn't serve it with the meat loaf next time unless it was for dessert."
"made for Thanksgiving,,very good..doubled recipe (used alittle less sugar,maybe 3/4 cup, because I doubled) plenty sweet enough.."
"This is fantastic - it almost competes with pumpkin pie!"
"Good flavor but I felt like it needed some texture. I will probably add some chopped pecans or something next time. My husband loved it though!"
"Absolutely fantastic, and always a hit when I make it."
"Absolutely love this side dish. Great for potlucks and the holidays"
"My 5 yr old is a picky vegetable eater but this side dish disappeared from his plate and he's asking for me to make it again!"
"This is absolutely delicious! My husband was actually licking the dish and my 4 year old gobbled it up. Very refreshing side dish, would go great with most anything."