When Mom didn't couldn’t get sweet potatoes in Zimbabwe, she substituted this creamy casserole, adding sweetness and spice to butternut squash. It soon became a family favorite. —Susan Hansen Auburn, Alabama
- 2 medium butternut squash, peeled and cut into chunks
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 cup milk
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Place squash in a large saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 12-16 minutes or until tender. Drain.
- In a small bowl, beat squash until smooth. Add the remaining ingredients; beat well. Spoon into a 1-1/2-qt. baking dish coated with cooking spray. Cover and bake at 350° for 30-35 minutes or until a thermometer inserted near the center reads 160°. Yield: 6 servings.
Originally published as Butternut Squash Casserole in Taste of Home June/July 2007, p35
Reviews for Creamy Butternut Squash Casserole
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review