- 1 small butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 2 cups)
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 1/2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 egg, lightly beaten
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup crushed saltines (about 8 crackers)
- 2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Place squash in a saucepan and cover with water; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until very tender. Drain well and place in a large bowl; mash squash.
- In another bowl, combine the mayonnaise, onion, egg, sugar, salt and pepper; add to the squash and mix well.
- Transfer to a greased 1-qt. baking dish. Combine the cracker crumbs, cheese and butter; sprinkle over top. Bake, uncovered, at 350° for 30-40 minutes or until heated through and top is golden brown. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Butternut Squash Bake
Sort By :
"Liked this very much, because sometimes you get sick of the squash bakes full of brown sugar and crispy rice toppings. However, I didn't really like the onions (I saut?ed them first) or the parmesan on top, would stick to only the crackers for topping. Very mild squash flavour, nice for a change!"
"Have made this recipe several times. I saute my onion, use light mayo and the round buttery type of crackers for the top( have made with saltines but prefer the other)."
"This dish is awesome - i did sautee the onions which i'm sure is the best - they weren't crunchy nor were they to strong. However i got a few comments wondering what the dish was, although they all really liked it quite a few thought it was eggs! It definitely does not have a strong butternut squash flavor - if that's what your looking for."
"Just made this recipe again for maybe the 10th time. Love it still. I did do 2 things differently. I sauteed the onions first and I omitted the sugar (by accident). Still good. I give out the recipe to friends so they can try it. It will be in my recipe box forever."
"This is a great way to enjoy butternut squash! Decrease to 1/3 cup onions if you don't want a strong flavor in the dish. I substituted Ritz which added to the buttery flavor of the topping. Nice autumn side dish for a meal."