Creamy Butternut Soup
Thick and filling, this soup, topped with chives and a drizzle of sour cream, looks as special as it tastes. —Amanda Smith, Cincinnati
10 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 5 cups water
- 3 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- Sour cream and chives, optional
- In a Dutch oven combine the squash, water, potatoes, onion, bouillon
- and garlic. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20
- minutes or until vegetables are tender.
- Remove from the heat; cool slightly. In a blender, puree mixture in
- batches. Return to the pan; heat through. Serve with sour cream and
- chives if desired. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Nutritional Facts: 1 cup equals 112 calories, trace fat (trace saturated fat), trace cholesterol, 231 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 3 g protein. Diabetic Exchange: 2 starch.