- 1 medium butternut squash, peeled, seeded and cubed (about 6 cups)
- 3 medium potatoes (about 1 pound), peeled and cubed
- 1 large onion, diced
- 2 chicken bouillon cubes
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 5 cups water
- Sour cream and minced fresh chives, optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, combine first six ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, covered, until vegetables are tender, 15-20 minutes.
- Puree soup using an immersion blender. Or, cool slightly and puree
- soup in batches in a blender; return to pan and heat through. If desired, serve with sour cream and chives. Yield: 10 servings (2-1/2 quarts).
Reviews for Creamy Butternut Soup
"My family loved this soup. I have now made it several times."
"My family loved this- left out the garlic. Great for lunch on a cold winter day. Topped with croutons. Will save recipe on Pinterest!"
"So creamy and yummy."
"This is a family favorite!!!!"
"Recipe was very easy to make. We loved the consistency of the soup and the subtle mild flavor. Sour cream enhanced the flavor. I used a butternut squash; but I'll try buttercup next time which I think will give it more flavor."
"I loved the simplicity of this recipe, but my husband and I thought it was completely void of flavor. I tried the brown sugar and nutmeg that another reviewer suggested. I even dumped in some black pepper. We still didn't like it."
"I must have made a different soup but no one in my family would eat."
"really good and easy to make."
"Perfect consistency. I also add 1/4 tsp. nutmeg and about 3 Tbsp. brown sugar. The flavor is enhanced if you use roasted squash and simply blend it in with the potato mixture. To quickly blend, I use a hand blender right in the dutch oven."
"Very Yummy..Filling and low cal...."