Creamy Buttermilk Lemon Pie Recipe
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 2 cups buttermilk
- 1/2 cup water
- 3 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 6 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 3 egg whites
- 6 tablespoons sugar
- 1 pastry shell (9 inches), baked
- 1. In a large saucepan, combine sugar and flour. Gradually stir in buttermilk and water until smooth. Cook and stir over medium heat until thickened and bubbly, about 4 minutes. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir in a small amount of hot filling into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in lemon juice and butter until butter is melted. Keep warm.
- 3. In a small bowl, beat the egg whites on medium speed until soft peaks form. Gradually beat in sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high just until stiff peaks form and sugar is dissolved.
- 4. Pour the hot filling into pastry shell. Spread meringue evenly over hot filling, sealing edges to crust. Bake at 350° for 15 minutes or until the meringue is golden brown. Cool on a wire rack for 1 hour; refrigerate for at least 5 hours before serving. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 slice) equals 362 calories, 12 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 95 mg cholesterol, 217 mg sodium, 57 g carbohydrate, trace fiber, 6 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.