Creamy Broccoli Soup Recipe
- 3/4 cup cubed peeled potatoes
- 1 medium carrot, sliced
- 2 cups frozen chopped broccoli
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups 2% milk, divided
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- Dash ground nutmeg
- Dash pepper
- 1. Place potatoes and carrot in a small saucepan; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Meanwhile, cook broccoli according to package directions; drain and set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add 1/2 cup milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add the salt, thyme, nutmeg and pepper.
- 3. Drain potato mixture; cool slightly. In a blender, combine the potato mixture, broccoli and remaining milk; cover and process until smooth. Add to the thickened milk mixture. Return to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, for 10 minutes or until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 2 servings.
1-1/2 cups (prepared with reduced-fat butter, fat-free milk and 1/4 teaspoon salt) equals 248 calories, 7 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 24 mg cholesterol, 512 mg sodium, 37 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 14 g protein.