Creamy Broccoli Soup with Nutmeg Recipe
This thick, creamy soup has wonderful broccoli flavor with just a hint of nutmeg. When it comes to broccoli recipes, this is one of my favorite.—Marion Tipton, Phoenix, Arizona
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 2 to 2-1/2 pounds fresh broccoli spears, cut into florets
- 1/2 cup chopped green onions
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large saucepan, bring broth to a boil; add broccoli. Reduce heat; cover and simmer until tender, about 10 minutes.
- 2. Meanwhile, in a small skillet, saute onions in oil until tender; stir into broth. Remove from heat; cool 10-15 minutes. Puree in small batches in a blender or food processor until smooth. Return all to the saucepan; set aside.
- 3. In a small pan, combine flour, salt, nutmeg and pepper. Slowly add cream, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil over medium heat. Cook and stir for 2 minutes or until slightly thickened. Gradually stir into broccoli mixture. Return to the heat; cook over medium until heated through, stirring occasionally. Yield: 4 servings.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 222 calories, 11 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 30 mg cholesterol, 1,611 mg sodium, 21 g carbohydrate, 7 g fiber, 12 g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Broccoli Soup with Nutmeg
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC