Creamy Bratwurst Stew Recipe
- 1-3/4 pounds potatoes (about 4 medium), peeled and cubed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 medium green pepper, chopped
- 2 pounds uncooked bratwurst links
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1. Place first five ingredients in a 5-qt. slow cooker; toss to combine. Top with bratwurst. Mix broth and seasonings; pour over top.
- 2. Cook, covered, on low until sausage is cooked through and vegetables are tender, 6-7 hours. Remove sausages from slow cooker; cut into 1-in. slices. Add to potato mixture; stir in cream.
- 3. Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cook, covered, on high until thickened, about 30 minutes. Yield: 8 servings.
1 cup: 544 calories, 39g fat (15g saturated fat), 114mg cholesterol, 1367mg sodium, 25g carbohydrate (5g sugars, 2g fiber), 19g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Bratwurst Stew
"I've made this several times now and each time it's delicious!!! I cut this recipe in half, except I only put 12oz of bratwurst (the full pound seems like a bit too much). I've also tried it with some frozen corn in it. The stew never seems to thicken up enough for my taste but it's so delicious I don't mind. The potatoes and carrots need about 3-3.5 hours to fully cook, but the sausage is done in only 2-2.5 hours (my slow cooker apparently runs hot).This last time I made this, I used Chesapeake Bay chicken sausage (has Old Bay in the sausage), then I put generous amounts of Old Bay in the stew itself, omitting the salt, pepper, & basil. It reminded me of a crab corn chowder (without the crab, haha).I love tweaking this each time. A forgiving recipe, and fun to mess around with!"
"Perfect stew for when the weather turns cold!! Hearty and thick."
"This a great filling stew with lots of flavor! The only thing I did different was omit the water later in the recipe, and used regular milk, since I didn't have any 1/2 and 1/2 on hand. Mixed the cornstarch with that and it came out perfect! Definitely a keeper here!"
"Excellent. Subbed sweet potatoes for regular potatoes. Warm, hearty, and heart warming! Will be making again!"
"My husband and young children love this hearty meal. It is easy to prepare and full of flavor."
"Trying this tonight - but half brats and half fresh polish plus 2 cup shredded red cabbage."
"YUM!!!!! This is so good! Great Sunday dinner recipe."
"Delicious! We loved this crock pot recipe for a family dinner."
"My whole family loves it!"
"This was very good!! Next time I will reduce the black pepper to 1/8 tsp. It seemed a little overwhelming. covered the natural taste of the bratwurst a bit. Otherwise, I wouldn't change a thing!!"
"We liked this too. It is nice and thick and it is a good change of pace from most of the regular stews I make. It is in my recipe file and I will make it years to come. Thanks for a good dish!"
"One of our winter favorites! My slow-cooker needed much less than 7 hours, though."
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.