- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 pounds fresh bratwurst links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine vegetables. Top with bratwurst. Combine broth, salt, basil and pepper; pour over top. Cook, covered, on low 6-7 hours or until bratwurst are no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cream. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cook, covered, on high 30 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings.
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Bratwurst Stew
"This a great filling stew with lots of flavor! The only thing I did different was omit the water later in the recipe, and used regular milk, since I didn't have any 1/2 and 1/2 on hand. Mixed the cornstarch with that and it came out perfect! Definitely a keeper here!"
"Excellent. Subbed sweet potatoes for regular potatoes. Warm, hearty, and heart warming! Will be making again!"
"My husband and young children love this hearty meal. It is easy to prepare and full of flavor."
"Trying this tonight - but half brats and half fresh polish plus 2 cup shredded red cabbage."
"YUM!!!!! This is so good! Great Sunday dinner recipe."