A rich sauce coats this hearty combination of potatoes, carrots and bratwurst chunks. "I adapted a baked stew recipe that appeared in a newspaper," says Susan Holmes from Germantown, Wisconsin. "This is so comforting on cold winter evenings."
- 4 medium potatoes, cubed
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 3/4 cup chopped green pepper
- 2 pounds fresh bratwurst links, cut into 1-inch slices
- 1/2 cup chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a 5-qt. slow cooker, combine the potatoes, carrots, celery, onion and green pepper. Top with bratwurst slices. Combine the broth, salt, basil and pepper; pour over top. Cover and cook on low for 6-7 hours or until bratwurst are no longer pink and vegetables are tender.
- Stir in cream. Combine cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into stew. Cover and cook on high for 30 minutes or until thickened. Yield: 8 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Bratwurst Stew in Quick Cooking January/February 2005, p41
Full-Bodied White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a full-bodied white wine such as Chardonnay or Viognier.
Reviews for Creamy Bratwurst Stew
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review