Creamy Beef and Onions
If your family leans toward beef recipes, give this one from Jennifer Rahe a try. Her stick-to-your-ribs mainstay gets its tang from a low-fat sauce of yogurt and gravy. "Add a tossed salad and a basket of biscuits for a complete meal," she suggests from St. Cloud, Minnesota.
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 pound lean ground beef (90% lean)
- 2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- 2 medium onions, cut into thin wedges
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar (12 ounces) fat-free beef gravy
- 2/3 cup reduced-fat plain yogurt
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- Hot cooked noodles
- 4 teaspoons minced fresh parsley
- In a nonstick skillet, cook the beef, mushrooms and onions over
- medium heat until meat is no longer pink. Add garlic; cook 1 minute
- longer. Drain.
- In a small bowl, combine the gravy, yogurt, Worcestershire sauce,
- thyme and pepper; pour over beef. Cook until heated through. Serve
- with noodles; sprinkle with parsley. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: One serving (1 cup beef mixture, calculated without noodles) equals 266 calories, 9 g fat (4 g saturated fat), 65 mg cholesterol, 588 mg sodium, 19 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber,