Creamy Basil Dressing
WHEN I WAS growing up, our supper was not complete without a green salad and my dad's homemade dressing. He never had a written recipe, but the basic ingredients didn't vary. Making the salad was a ritual, and we would watch the process with great anticipation.
-Shirley Awood Glaab, Hattiesburg, Mississippi
2 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 10 min.
- 2 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 tablespoons plain yogurt
- 2 teaspoons minced green onion or chives
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/4 teaspoon salt, optional
- Salad greens and tomato wedges
- In a small bowl, combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, onion, basil and
- salt if desired; mix well. Serve over greens and tomatoes. Yield:
- 1/4 cup.
Nutritional Facts: 2 tablespoon of dressing (prepared with reduced-fat mayonnaise and fat-free yogurt and without salt) equals 76 calories, 5 g fat (0 saturated fat), 5 mg cholesterol, 430 mg sodium, 5 g carbohydrate, 0 fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1/2 starch, 1/2 fat.