Creamy Banana Pie Recipe
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium firm bananas, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pastry shell (10 inches), baked
- Juice and grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- 1. Soften gelatin in cold water; set aside. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 2. Stir a small amount of hot filling into yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in softened gelatin until dissolved. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cover the surface of custard with plastic wrap and chill until no longer warm.
- 3. Slice 3 bananas; fold into custard along with whipped cream. Spoon into pie shell. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 4-5 hours.
- 4. Just before serving, place lemon juice in a small bowl and slice the remaining banana into it. Melt jelly in a saucepan over low heat. Drain banana; pat dry and arrange over filling. Brush banana with the jelly. Sprinkle with grated lemon peel. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 478 calories, 21 g fat (11 g saturated fat), 151 mg cholesterol, 330 mg sodium, 67 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 7 g protein.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.