Creamy Banana Pie Recipe
- 1 envelope unflavored gelatin
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2-3/4 cups milk
- 4 egg yolks, beaten
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 4 medium firm bananas, divided
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 pastry shell (10 inches), baked
- Juice and grated peel of 1 lemon
- 1/2 cup apple jelly
- Soften gelatin in cold water; set aside. In a saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and salt. Whisk in the milk until smooth. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until thickened and bubbly. Reduce heat; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Stir a small amount of hot filling into yolks. Return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Bring to a gentle boil. Cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat; stir in softened gelatin until dissolved. Stir in butter and vanilla. Cover the surface of custard with plastic wrap and chill until no longer warm.
- Slice 3 bananas; fold into custard along with whipped cream. Spoon into pie shell. Cover and refrigerate until set, about 4-5 hours.
- Just before serving, place lemon juice in a small bowl and slice the remaining banana into it. Melt jelly in a saucepan over low heat. Drain banana; pat dry and arrange over filling. Brush banana with the jelly. Sprinkle with grated lemon peel. Serve immediately. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
Reviews for Creamy Banana Pie(4)
Sort By :
The flavor of this pie is amazing. But I found small chunks of gelatin, globbed throughout the pie, which was a huge disappointment. Can this be made without the gelatin?
BEST banana cream pie I have ever had. I made it for my dad's birthday, his favorite kind of pie. everyone loved it.
This pie is awesome. It takes some time to make the filling from scratch but the results are worth it. I typically have all the ingredients on hand. Make sure to allow enough time for the filling to cool and set before you take it anywhere or try to cut it. I have also successfully doubled the filling recipe for use in a 9x13" pan to feed more people.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Banana Cream Pie Recipes >
- Banana Pie Recipes >
- Comfort Food Desserts >
- Comfort Food Recipes >