Creamy Bacon Mushroom Soup Recipe
I’ve always enjoyed cooking and recently created this rich soup. It’s always a hit. You can also garnish it with chopped green onion tops or shredded Swiss cheese. For a creamier, smoother consistency, try pouring the soup through a strainer. —Nathan Mercer Inman, South Carolina
TOTAL TIME: Prep/Total Time: 30 min. YIELD:8 servings
- 10 bacon strips, diced
- 1 pound sliced fresh mushrooms
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 quart heavy whipping cream
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1-1/4 cups shredded Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1. In a large saucepan, cook bacon over medium heat until crisp. Using a slotted spoon, remove to paper towels; drain, reserving 2 tablespoons drippings. In the drippings, saute mushrooms and onion until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in cream and broth. Gradually stir in cheese until melted.
- 2. In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper and water until smooth. Stir into soup. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Garnish with bacon. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
1 cup equals 592 calories, 56 g fat (33 g saturated fat), 193 mg cholesterol, 649 mg sodium, 12 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 13 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC