- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Additional sour cream
- Asparagus tips, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute potato, onions, carrot and celery in butter until onions and celery are tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. gradually add broth. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add asparagus; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool to lukewarm.
- In a blender, puree vegetable mixture in small batches until smooth. Pour into a large bowl; stir in cream and sour cream until smooth.
- Serve warm, or cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and served chilled. Garnish with bacon, sour cream and asparagus tips if desired.
Reviews for Creamy Asparagus Soup
Sort By :
"I wrote the first review on this soup and this weekend my son and I made this with broccoli and followed the same recipe and it was fantastic much better than with asparagus."
"My son and I have made this twice once with bacon and once with diced up ham. I am here to say that we have shared it with other people who have all asked for the recipe. You have a winner her,"