This is my version of a recipe I tasted while on vacation. When we got home, I tinkered around with ingredients until I came up with a winning combination. —Lisa Hagdohl, Walbridge, Ohio
- 1 medium potato, peeled and diced
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 5 green onions, chopped
- 1 medium carrot, chopped
- 1 celery rib, chopped
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1 can (49-1/2 ounces) chicken broth
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed and cut into 2-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1 cup (8 ounces) sour cream
- 2 bacon strips, cooked and crumbled
- Additional sour cream
- Asparagus tips, optional
- In a Dutch oven or soup kettle, saute potato, onions, carrot and celery in butter until onions and celery are tender. Stir in flour, salt and pepper until blended. gradually add broth. bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Add asparagus; reduce heat. Cover and simmer for 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender. Cool to lukewarm.
- In a blender, puree vegetable mixture in small batches until smooth. Pour into a large bowl; stir in cream and sour cream until smooth.
- Serve warm, or cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours and served chilled. Garnish with bacon, sour cream and asparagus tips if desired.
Originally published as Creamy Asparagus Soup in Taste of Home's Holiday & Celebrations Cookbook Annual 2001, p166
Reviews for Creamy Asparagus Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review