Creamy Asparagus on Toast Recipe
If you have hard-cooked eggs left over from Easter, here's a way to use some of them. It's delicious for a luncheon or light supper.
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 4 slices bread, toasted and halved
- 1. In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Arrange eggs over the top.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter; gradually stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over eggs.
- 3. In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with toast. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 513 calories, 36g fat (22g saturated fat), 207mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein
Reviews for Creamy Asparagus on Toast
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC