Creamy Asparagus on Toast Recipe
- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 4 slices bread, toasted and halved
- 1. In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Arrange eggs over the top.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter; gradually stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over eggs.
- 3. In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with toast. Yield: 4 servings.
1 each: 513 calories, 36g fat (22g saturated fat), 207mg cholesterol, 782mg sodium, 30g carbohydrate (8g sugars, 2g fiber), 18g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Asparagus on Toast
"This is very tasty. It is easy and makes an elegant brunch. I am quite pleased with it.I did use panko bread crumbs and 4 eggs"