- 1 pound fresh asparagus, trimmed
- 2 hard-cooked eggs, sliced
- 1/4 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cup (4 ounces) shredded cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup soft bread crumbs
- 4 slices bread, toasted and halved
- In a large skillet, bring 1/2 in of water to a boil. Add asparagus; cover and boil for 3 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain. Transfer to a greased 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish. Arrange eggs over the top.
- In a large saucepan, melt 1/4 cup of butter; gradually stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Reduce heat; stir in cheese until melted. Pour over eggs.
- In a small skillet, melt the remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over top of casserole. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 15 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve with toast. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Creamy Asparagus on Toast in Country Extra May 2001, p51
Reviews for Creamy Asparagus on Toast
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 2, 2016
"This is very tasty. It is easy and makes an elegant brunch. I am quite pleased with it.I did use panko bread crumbs and 4 eggs"