Creamy Asparagus Chowder Recipe
While this soup's good with fresh asparagus, it can also be prepared with frozen or canned. In fact, I like to blanch and freeze asparagus in portions just right for the recipe—this way, I can make our favorite chowder all year. —Shirley Beachum, Shelby, Michigan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min. YIELD:10 servings
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 cups chopped fresh asparagus, cooked and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced almonds
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh tomato
- 1. In a Dutch oven, saute onions and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour. Add the potato, milk, broth and herbs; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the potato is tender and soup is thickened, about 20-30 minutes.
- 2. Add the asparagus, salt and pepper; heat through. To serve, sprinkle with almonds, cheese and the chopped tomato. Yield: about 2-1/2 quarts.
1 serving (1 cup) equals 187 calories, 8 g fat (5 g saturated fat), 26 mg cholesterol, 491 mg sodium, 23 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC