Creamy Asparagus Chowder Recipe
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 cups chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1 large potato, peeled and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 cups milk
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried marjoram
- 4 cups chopped fresh asparagus, cooked and drained
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Sliced almonds
- Shredded cheddar cheese
- Chopped fresh tomato
- In a Dutch oven, saute onions and celery in butter until tender. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in flour. Add the potato, milk, broth and herbs; cook over low heat, stirring occasionally until the potato is tender and soup is thickened, about 20-30 minutes.
- Add the asparagus, salt and pepper; heat through. To serve, sprinkle with almonds, cheese and the chopped tomato. Yield: about 2-1/2 quarts.
Reviews for Creamy Asparagus Chowder(5)
Sort By :
I had trouble thickening the soup. The recipe said "low heat" and I cooked for the allotted time and no thickening took place. The potatoes took quite awhile to become tender. My husband and I felt more spices were needed, so we added onion and garlic salt. it was a little too bland for our tastes.
I liked the idea of adding fresh tomatoes, cheese and sliced almonds. I may try that on another soup recipe.
Delicious soup! After sauteing those vegetable indicated in recipe and adding garlic. Did NOT use flour. I added 3 small-medium white potatoes and the spices. Cooked until al dente in the 4C of chicken broth. Then added asparagus that had already been cut up and steamed and run under cold water. Added 2C 2% milk with 2C heavy cream at this point along with salt and pepper, and heated until warmed through. A generous amount of extra sharp cheddar was added for each serving. Yum! Didn't feel the almonds or chopped tomatoes added much.
We liked this alot. I added in some chopped ham and a couple of sandwich slices of American cheese. I served it undressed (no almonds, cheddar, or fresh tomatoes) for just the two of us. It's definitely a keeper.
This is especially delicious on a cool Spring evening. I served it with mini cornbread muffins. I used frozen asparagus and plan to make it again next week for a group of kids and grands. I will expand the recipe.
I cut the recipe in half. I made it exactly as written. I love asparagus and really like this chowder.
More Recipe Collections
- Almond Recipes >
- Asparagus Recipes >
- Asparagus Soup >
- Asparagus Soup >
- Cheese Recipes >
- Chowder Recipes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Soup Recipes >
- Country Woman Recipes >
- Country Woman Soup Recipes >
- Grand Prize Winning Recipes >
- Nut Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Soup Recipes >