Creamy Apple Pie Recipe
- 2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup cold butter, cubed
- 6 tablespoons cold water
- 6 cups sliced peeled tart apples
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3/4 cup sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon peel
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- CREAM SAUCE:
- 1 egg
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- 1. In a large bowl, combine flour and salt; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Gradually add water, tossing with a fork until dough forms a ball. Divide dough in half. Roll out one portion. Line a 9-in. pie plate with bottom pastry; trim pastry even with edge of plate. Set aside.
- 2. In a large bowl, toss apples with lemon juice. Combine the sugar, flour, lemon peel, cinnamon and salt; add to apples and gently toss. Mound apples in pastry shell so center is higher than edges; dot with butter.
- 3. Roll out remaining pastry to fit top of pie; cut a hole in the center about the size of a quarter. Place over filling; trim, seal and flute edges. Cut slits in pastry. Add decorative cutouts if desired.
- 4. Cover edges loosely with foil. Bake at 450° for 10 minutes. Reduce heat to 375° and remove foil. Bake 35-40 minutes longer or until crust is golden brown and filling is bubbly. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.
- 5. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan, beat the egg, sugar and lemon juice. Cook and stir over low heat until mixture is thickened and reaches 160° and coats the back of a metal spoon.
- 6. Remove from the heat; stir in cream cheese and sour cream until smooth. Slowly pour into center of pie. Cool on wire rack for 1 hour. Cover and refrigerate until serving. Yield: 6-8 servings.
1 serving (1 piece) equals 487 calories, 24 g fat (15 g saturated fat), 91 mg cholesterol, 526 mg sodium, 63 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 6 g protein.
Reviews for Creamy Apple Pie
"I made this pie probably 50 plus years ago. Time does fly but this is true. Yes the sauce will work BUT it's best to pre-cook your apples about 15 minutes with their spices and then pile them on high with a hole in the top about the size of a 50 cent piece. This is one of my favorite pies. Don't use purchased pie crust, make your own."
"This was really good, but like the first review, I could not pour the cream into the pie. I made several holes in the top crust and used a pastry bag to inject the cream into the piel."
"just made this pie for first time and the sauce did not poor well into center. have not tasted it yet but if it is good i will make many holes next time."
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.