Creamy Apple Custard Pie Recipe
Treat family and friends to old-fashioned goodness with this well-used recipe. More than 50 years old, it blends juicy apple slices with rich cream cheese in a pastry crust.
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 4 cups thinly sliced peeled apples (such as Gala or Fuji)
- 3/4 cup sugar, divided
- 1/4 cup (2 ounces) cream cheese, softened
- 1-1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 3 eggs
- 1. Roll out pastry to fit a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate. Transfer pastry to pie plate. Trim pastry to 1/2 in. beyond edge of plate; flute edges.
- 2. In a large bowl, combine apples and 1/2 cup sugar; transfer to pastry shell. Bake at 400° for 15 minutes.
- 3. Meanwhile, in a small bowl, beat cream cheese and remaining sugar until smooth. Beat in the cream, butter and nutmeg. Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- 4. Pour cream mixture over apples. Reduce heat to 325°; bake for 45-50 minutes or until custard is almost set (mixture will jiggle slightly). Cool on a wire rack. Cover and refrigerate for at least 2 hours. Yield: 8 servings.
Reviews for Creamy Apple Custard Pie
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.
© 2016 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC