Creamy Apple Crumb Pie Recipe
- Pastry for single-crust pie (9 inches)
- 1/3 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground allspice
- 6 cups diced peeled tart apples (about 6 medium)
- 1 cup (8 ounces) reduced-fat sour cream
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 tablespoons cold butter
- 1. Line a 9-in. deep-dish pie plate with pastry; flute edges. In a large bowl, combine the sugar, cornstarch, cinnamon and allspice. Fold in the apples. Combine sour cream and vanilla; stir into apple mixture. Spoon into pastry shell.
- 2. For topping, combine the flour, brown sugar and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter until mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Sprinkle over filling.
- 3. Bake at 400° for 25 minutes. Reduce heat to 350°; bake 25-30 minutes longer or until filling is bubbly and topping is golden. Cool on a wire rack. Refrigerate leftovers. Yield: 8 servings.
1 piece equals 299 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 22 mg cholesterol, 126 mg sodium, 49 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 4 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 2 starch, 2 fat, 1 fruit.
Sweet White Wine
Enjoy this recipe with a sweet white wine such as Moscato or a sweet Riesling.