Here's my go-to recipe for family and friends' get-togethers. One time, my niece devoured three bowls of it and we had to stop her from a fourth so others could have one last spoonful! —Sharon Verea, Thomasville, Georgia
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 small onions, chopped
- 2 celery ribs, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 medium butternut squash (3 pounds), peeled, seeded and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 medium sweet potato (about 8 ounces), peeled and cut into 1-inch cubes
- 1 yellow summer squash, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 teaspoons dried savory or herbes de Provence
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Grated Parmesan cheese, optional
- In a Dutch oven, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions, celery and carrots; cook and stir 6-8 minutes or until onion is tender. Stir in butternut squash, sweet potato and summer squash. Cook and stir 5-7 minutes or until squash and potato are lightly browned. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer.
- Add broth, savory and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer, uncovered, 20-25 minutes or until vegetables are tender.
Puree soup using an immersion blender, or cool slightly and, in batches, puree in a blender and return to pan; heat through. If desired, serve with cheese.
Freeze option: Freeze cooled soup in freezer containers. To use, partially thaw in refrigerator overnight. Heat through in a saucepan, stirring occasionally and adding a little broth if necessary. Yield: 8 servings (2 quarts).
Originally published as Creamless Creamy Squash Soup in Simple & Delicious April/May 2014
Reviews for Creamless Creamy Squash Soup
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Mar. 16, 2014
"The soup is wonderful. Rich favor. I will make this many times."