THIS IS one of our favorite ways to have leftover turkey. When I buy a turkey for my family of five, I choose the largest one I can find so we are sure to have plenty of leftovers. This recipe is simple to prepare and absolutely delicious. -Kathi Parker, Hendersonville, North Carolina
Recommended: 75 Winning Recipes For Your Super Bowl Potluck
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup chopped celery
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/2 cups chicken broth
- 2 cups cubed cooked turkey
- 1 cup milk
- 1/2 cup cubed Swiss cheese
- 1 tablespoon diced pimientos, drained
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Hot cooked long grain and wild rice mix
- In a large skillet, saute onion and celery in butter until tender. Stir in flour until blended. Gradually stir in broth. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes.
- Reduce heat; stir in the turkey, milk, cheese, pimientos, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Cook until cheese is melted and mixture is heated through. Serve over rice. Yield: 4 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Turkey over Rice in Reminisce November/December 1999, p45
Reviews for Creamed Turkey over Rice
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Nov. 27, 2011
"I inadvertently left the milk out and it was still great! I also used mashed potatoes as an option to the rice."
Reviewed Feb. 17, 2011