Creamed Sweet Peas
MOM'S GARDEN in the '40s provided us with many delicious vegetables, but her sweet peas were the best. She would pick them fresh, shell them and fix the best creamed sweet peas ever on her huge wood stove.
-Jean Patten, Pineville, Louisiana
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 20 min.
- 1 tablespoon King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 2/3 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh sweet peas or 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas, thawed
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- In a large saucepan, combine the flour, sugar and milk. Stir in peas
- and pepper; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer for 10-12 minutes
- or until peas are heated through and sauce has thickened. Yield: 4
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 140 calories, 2 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 6 mg cholesterol, 24 mg sodium, 26 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 5 g protein.