Creamed Spinach with Parmesan Recipe
- 4 packages (9 ounces each) fresh spinach, torn
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- 1. In four batches, place spinach in a steamer basket; place in a large saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for 3-4 minutes or until wilted. Transfer to a large bowl; keep warm.
- 2. In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in cheese. Drain spinach; add sauce and toss to coat. Yield: 9 servings.
1/2 cup: 74 calories, 3g fat (2g saturated fat), 8mg cholesterol, 172mg sodium, 9g carbohydrate (3g sugars, 3g fiber), 5g protein Diabetic Exchanges:2 vegetable, 1/2 fat
Reviews for Creamed Spinach with Parmesan
"I doubled the sauce recipe because it did not make much. This was a very mild flavored spinach recipe. I gave it three stars simply because I felt that I needed to doctor it up a lot. A good basic recipe to start with, but I felt that it needed more. It did pair nicely with the Lime Cilantro Tilapia recipe from this site."