Creamed Spinach with Parmesan
Cooked spinach makes a perfect accompaniment to many entrees, especially salmon.Taste of Home Test Kitchen
9 ServingsPrep: 20 min. Cook: 15 min.
- 4 packages (9 ounces each) fresh spinach, torn
- 2 medium onions, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 2 teaspoons King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/3 cup 2% milk
- 1 tablespoon heavy whipping cream
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- In four batches, place spinach in a steamer basket; place in a large
- saucepan over 1 in. of water. Bring to a boil; cover and steam for
- 3-4 minutes or until wilted. Transfer to a large bowl; keep warm.
- In a large skillet, saute onions in butter until tender. Stir in the
- flour, salt and pepper until blended. Gradually add milk and cream.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Stir in cheese. Drain spinach; add sauce and toss to coat. Yield: 9
Nutritional Facts: 1/2 cup equals 74 calories, 3 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 8 mg cholesterol, 172 mg sodium, 9 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber,