Creamed Spinach with Bacon
My twins wouldn’t eat anything that even resembled a vegetable, but they ate seconds and sometimes thirds of this fabulous spinach. I received the recipe from a friend several years ago, and it’s been part of my Thanksgiving menu ever since. I usually double or triple the recipe. My children aren’t the only ones who want extra servings!
6 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- In a large skillet, cook the onions and bacon in butter over medium
- heat until bacon is crisp. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in
- the flour, salt and pepper until blended.
- Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or
- until thickened. Stir in spinach and cream; cook 3-5 minutes longer
- or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.