Creamed Spinach with Bacon Recipe
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the onions and bacon in butter over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended.
- 2. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in spinach and cream; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 288 calories, 18g fat (9g saturated fat), 44mg cholesterol, 812mg sodium, 22g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 5g fiber), 11g protein
Reviews for Creamed Spinach with Bacon
"By adding the nutmeg, lemon juice & zest really helped this spinich dish. I used 6 strips of bacon. I may add a little more garlic next time but it would not be necessary. We just like garlic."
"I've made a similar creamed spinach without the bacon and adding a pinch of nutmeg. The spice seems to bring out more flavor.Another good addition would be a little lemon juice and zest. Here, also, I'd leave out the bacon. It would be healthier that way also."
"Sounded good, but the flavors all together were just O.K. Would I make it again, probably not."