Creamed Spinach with Bacon Recipe
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 4 green onions, finely chopped
- 4 bacon strips, diced
- 2 tablespoons plus 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1-1/4 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 2-1/2 cups milk
- 3 packages (10 ounces each) frozen chopped spinach, thawed and squeezed dry
- 1/2 cup half-and-half cream
- 1. In a large skillet, cook the onions and bacon in butter over medium heat until bacon is crisp. Add garlic; cook 1 minute longer. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended.
- 2. Gradually add milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in spinach and cream; cook 3-5 minutes longer or until heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Creamed Spinach with Bacon
"By adding the nutmeg, lemon juice & zest really helped this spinich dish. I used 6 strips of bacon. I may add a little more garlic next time but it would not be necessary. We just like garlic."
"I've made a similar creamed spinach without the bacon and adding a pinch of nutmeg. The spice seems to bring out more flavor.Another good addition would be a little lemon juice and zest. Here, also, I'd leave out the bacon. It would be healthier that way also."
"Sounded good, but the flavors all together were just O.K. Would I make it again, probably not."