Creamed Potatoes & Peas
"Early in June, we helped Mom pick the first green sweet peas of the season. Mom combined them with potatos and green onion to create this creamy dish, which we all loved." —Ginny Werkmeister, Tilden NE
6 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 25 min.
- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup King Arthur Unbleached All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- Scrub and quarter potatoes; place in a large saucepan and cover with
- water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10
- minutes. Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion; saute
- until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended;
- gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for
- 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Drain potatoes and peas; toss with
- sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 3/4 cup equals 236 calories, 11 g fat (6 g saturated fat), 28 mg cholesterol, 355 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 4 g fiber, 8 g protein.