- 1 pound small red potatoes
- 2-1/2 cups frozen peas
- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1 green onion, sliced
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 2 cups 2% milk
- Scrub and quarter potatoes; place in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Add peas; cook 5 minutes longer or until vegetables are tender.
- Meanwhile, in another large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion; saute until tender. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until blended; gradually add milk. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cook and stir for 1-2 minutes or until thickened. Drain potatoes and peas; toss with sauce. Yield: 6 servings.
Reviews for Creamed Potatoes & Peas
Sort By :
This is a delicious side dish. My husband loves peas but is not a huge fan of potatoes but he will eat second helpings when I make these. I do amp it up a teeny bit by sautéing one minced clove of garlic in the butter and sprinkling with freshly ground black pepper just prior to serving.
This was one of my favorites when I was growing up. My Grandma always made it with fresh peas out of the garden and I still make it 50 years later. Thanks for sharing the recipe.
This is a very good recipe and we will definitely make it again. Next time, I'm gonna add some carrots to it though. :)
Oh my goodness!! This is a great side. My grandma used to prepare cream peas, never with potatoes. It was one of my favorite dishes. My daughter made this for a family get together, we ate it all. Great recipe!
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Vegetarian Recipes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Low Fat Recipes >
- Low Fat Side Dishes >
- Pea Recipes >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Side Dish Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Taste of Home Magazine Side Dish Recipes >