Creamed Potato Casseroles Recipe
This classic potato dish makes enough for 24 hungry people. It’s great with ham and other meats. Gsuests always remark on its rich, creamy sauce and buttery crumb topping. —Norma Harder Melfort, Saskatchewan
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 1-1/4 hours Bake: 40 min. YIELD:24 servings
- 10 pounds medium potatoes (about 30)
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups half-and-half cream
- 8 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups minced fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- 1. Place potatoes in a large stockpot; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and cut into 1/4-in. slices; set aside.
- 2. In a large saucepan, melt 2/3 cup butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir 1 cup hot cream mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Add the parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- 3. Spread 1 cup sauce into each of two 3-qt. baking dishes. Top with a third of the potato slices. Repeat layers twice. Spread with remaining sauce. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casseroles. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
1 serving (1 each) equals 289 calories, 14 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 113 mg cholesterol, 659 mg sodium, 34 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 7 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC