Creamed Potato Casseroles Recipe
- 10 pounds medium potatoes (about 30)
- 2/3 cup plus 3 tablespoons butter, divided
- 2/3 cup all-purpose flour
- 5 cups chicken broth
- 5 cups half-and-half cream
- 8 egg yolks, lightly beaten
- 1-1/2 cups minced fresh parsley
- 3 teaspoons salt
- 3/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup seasoned bread crumbs
- Place potatoes in a large stockpot; cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until crisp-tender. Drain and rinse in cold water. When cool enough to handle, peel potatoes and cut into 1/4-in. slices; set aside.
- In a large saucepan, melt 2/3 cup butter. Stir in flour until smooth; gradually add broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat. Stir 1 cup hot cream mixture into egg yolks; return all to the pan, stirring constantly. Add the parsley, salt, pepper and cayenne. Bring to a gentle boil; cook and stir 2 minutes longer. Remove from the heat.
- Spread 1 cup sauce into each of two 3-qt. baking dishes. Top with a third of the potato slices. Repeat layers twice. Spread with remaining sauce. Melt remaining butter; toss with bread crumbs. Sprinkle over casseroles. Bake, uncovered, at 375° for 40-45 minutes or until bubbly. Yield: 2 casseroles (12 servings each).
Reviews for Creamed Potato Casseroles(7)
Sort By :
I'm only giving this recipe 3 stars because I liked the crumb topping (I used panko crumbs) and the texture of the potatoes. Otherwise this is only a 2 star recipe for me. The sauce tastes way too much like a gravy I would put over biscuits. I even tried adding a tad bit of garlic and onion powders, and it was still tasting like gravy. I thought maybe it would taste better once baked and rested. I was wrong. Still tasted like gravy. This recipe really needs something like bacon, and then perhaps starting the sauce in the bacon grease. Or if you eat cheese, maybe some cheddar melted in (I'm not a cheese fan). Or this may be one of those cream of something type of dishes. I could see this working with some homemade cream of chicken soup baked in.
Also this recipe does not make enough for 24 people as the recipe suggests.
I found this to be way too bland for my taste.
More Recipe Collections
- All Taste of Home Magazine Recipes >
- Au Gratin Potatoes >
- Baked Potatoes >
- Casserole Side Dish Recipes >
- Christmas Recipes >
- Christmas Side Dishes >
- Comfort Food Recipes >
- Comfort Food Side Dishes >
- Easter Recipes >
- Easter Side Dishes >
- Potato Casseroles >
- Potato Recipes >
- Potato Side Dishes >
- Potluck Recipes >
- Potluck Side Dish Recipes >
- Side Dish Recipes >