Creamed Peas and Potatoes
Nothing beats this comforting side dish to go with Mom's meat loaf. The peas and potatoes combined with a creamy white sauce make a hearty dish that also adds appealing color to the meal.
-Linda Nilsen, Anoka, Minnesota
6-8 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 30 min.
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until
- tender. Drain. Cook peas according to package directions, adding
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan; add the flour, salt and
- pepper to form a paste. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil;
- cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add dill.
- Drain potatoes and peas; transfer to a serving bowl. Pour sauce over
- and stir to coat. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (3/4 cup) equals 131 calories, 5 g fat (3 g saturated fat), 14 mg cholesterol, 242 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 3 g fiber, 5 g protein.