Nothing beats this comforting side dish to go with Mom's meat loaf. The peas and potatoes combined with a creamy white sauce make a hearty dish that also adds appealing color to the meal. -Linda Nilsen, Anoka, Minnesota
Recommended: 23 Slow Cooker Side Dishes to the Rescue
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cook peas according to package directions, adding sugar.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan; add the flour, salt and pepper to form a paste. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add dill.
- Drain potatoes and peas; transfer to a serving bowl. Pour sauce over and stir to coat. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Peas and Potatoes in Taste of Home December/January 1995, p37
Reviews for Creamed Peas and Potatoes
Please Log In or Join to add a rating and review.
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 28, 2009
"Very good American heritage-type recipe. Creamed veggies like these are great comfort food which at the same time can be served for special dinners."