Nothing beats this comforting side dish to go with Mom's meat loaf. The peas and potatoes combined with a creamy white sauce make a hearty dish that also adds appealing color to the meal. -Linda Nilsen, Anoka, Minnesota
Recommended: 23 Slow Cooker Side Dishes to the Rescue
VERIFIED BY Taste of Home Test Kitchen
- 4 medium red potatoes, cubed
- 1 package (10 ounces) frozen peas
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon white pepper
- 1-1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons minced fresh dill
- Place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 15-20 minutes or until tender. Drain. Cook peas according to package directions, adding sugar.
- Meanwhile, melt the butter in a saucepan; add the flour, salt and pepper to form a paste. Gradually stir in milk. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1 minute or until thickened. Add dill.
- Drain potatoes and peas; transfer to a serving bowl. Pour sauce over and stir to coat. Yield: 6-8 servings.
Originally published as Creamed Peas and Potatoes in Taste of Home December/January 1995, p37
Reviews forCreamed Peas and Potatoes
Click stars to rate
Any changes to your rating or review will appear where you originally posted your review
Reviewed Sep. 28, 2009
"Very good American heritage-type recipe. Creamed veggies like these are great comfort food which at the same time can be served for special dinners."