Creamed Peas and Carrots
Creamy sauce with a simple salt and pepper seasoning nicely complements peas and carrots in this colorful side dish.
—Gayleen Grote, Battle View, North Dakota
4 ServingsPrep/Total Time: 25 min.
- 4 medium carrots, sliced
- 2 cups frozen peas
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- Place carrots in a large saucepan; add 1 in. of water. Bring to a
- boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer for 5-8 minutes or until
- Add peas; return to a boil. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 5-10
- minutes longer or until vegetables are tender. Drain, reserving 1/2
- cup cooking liquid. Return vegetables and reserved liquid to the
- In a small bowl, combine the cornstarch, salt, pepper and cream until
- smooth. Stir into vegetables. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 1-2
- minutes or until thickened. Yield: 4 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 2/3 cup equals 191 calories, 11 g fat (7 g saturated fat), 41 mg cholesterol, 282 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 5 g fiber, 5 g protein.