Creamed Pearl Onions Recipe
- 50 pearl onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Pimiento strips, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, or large kettle, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley, cheese and onions.
- 3. Pour into an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes; stir. Top with pimientos if desired. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup: 209 calories, 13g fat (8g saturated fat), 42mg cholesterol, 501mg sodium, 18g carbohydrate (7g sugars, 2g fiber), 5g protein.
Reviews for Creamed Pearl Onions
"This was great! I grew up having pearled onions at Christmas. My Mom passed away this year and I was bound and determined to make these. Thanks for sharing the recipe it was awesome and brought a lot of great memories back!"
"My daughter requested creamed pearl onions so I tried this recipe for Thanksgiving. Made them tonight and gave them a taste Wow. Very good I must say they are a little better than my grandmothers they will become a tradition!"
"I made this side for Thanksgiving. Easy to make and VERY good."
"Best creamed onions I've made. Thank you!"
"My husband has been asking for Creamed Pearl Onions "like his grandmother used to make". This recipe is a hit! He said it's what he remembered from years ago. Thanks for sharing."
"I used heavy whipping cream instead and no butter. Also replaced the all-purpose flour with 100% gluten free Oat flour. I did not put in the salt because the parmesan cheese already added enough salt. Great by it self or over a baked potato or boneless skinless chicken breast. Yummy!!!"
"Excellent!!!! Just a perfect recipe... would not change a thing. I did not use the optional pimento."