Creamed Pearl Onions Recipe
When our children were small, we always celebrated Christmas at our house. This was one of many recipes I relied on that can be prepared a day in advance, which gave me more time to spend with guests. Everyone expected to see this vegetable dish on the table every year. —Barbara Caserman, Lake Havasu City, Arizona
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 30 min. + chilling Bake: 25 min. YIELD:6 servings
- 50 pearl onions
- 1/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Dash pepper
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 cup half-and-half cream
- 1/4 cup minced fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese
- Pimiento strips, optional
- 1. In a Dutch oven, or large kettle, bring 6 cups water to a boil. Add pearl onions; boil for 10-12 minutes or until tender. Drain and rinse in cold water; peel and set aside.
- 2. In a saucepan, melt butter. Stir in the flour, salt and pepper until smooth. Gradually stir in broth and cream. Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Stir in the parsley, cheese and onions.
- 3. Pour into an ungreased 1-qt. baking dish. Cover and refrigerate overnight. Remove from the refrigerator 30 minutes before baking. Cover and bake at 350° for 15 minutes; stir. Top with pimientos if desired. Bake, uncovered, 10 minutes longer or until bubbly and heated through. Yield: 6 servings.
3/4 cup equals 209 calories, 13 g fat (8 g saturated fat), 42 mg cholesterol, 501 mg sodium, 18 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 5 g protein.
© 2014 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC