This is my absolute favorite dish that my mom makes. The onions have a mild sweet flavor, and there's plenty of the rich creamy sauce. The sweetness makes a nice complement to the Peppered Beef Tenderloin.
8-10 ServingsPrep: 10 min. Cook: 30 min.
- 6 large onions, sliced
- 1 cup butter
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 2 cups milk
- In a large skillet or Dutch oven, saute onions in butter until tender
- and golden brown, about 25 minutes. Remove with a slotted spoon. Add
- flour, salt and pepper to skillet; stir until smooth. Gradually stir
- in milk until blended.
- Bring to a boil; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened.
- Reduce heat to medium. Return onions to the pan; heat through.
- Yield: 8-10 servings.
Nutritional Facts: 1 serving (1/2 cup) equals 227 calories, 20 g fat (12 g saturated fat), 56 mg cholesterol, 684 mg sodium, 11 g carbohydrate, 2 g fiber, 3 g protein.